From: Jon Corelis <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: "incapacity"
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Monday, August 3, 2009, 4:17 PM

> if a form, however charming
> and creative, is somewhat reactionary, the meaning it brings is, at least
> in a great measure, also reactionary.

I don't understand this.  How can a literary form be reactionary?  Is
blank verse reactionary?  Is a sonnet?  Does that mean that it's
impossible to write in those forms without validating aristocratic,
conservative, or obsolete values?  To turn it around, T. S. Eliot and
Ezra Pound may fairly be said to be politically reactionary, yet
though they wrote in traditional forms, they also were two of the
major creators of modern free verse.  So it seems that radical formal
innovation is no guarantee of political progressiveness.  In Italy, at
least, leading-edge formal innovations such as Futurism were connected
with fascism (Marinetti), and one of the major and most radically
innovative of twentieth century French prose fiction was Celine.   We
could also on the other hand point to a strong strain in leftism
against "decadent bourgeois" avant-gardism, as in Stalinist "social
realism," which produced works the ethos of which seems to the
unenlightened strangely similar to Nazi propaganda.  In short, I don't
see the historical justification for the equation "formally
reactionary = politically reactionary/formally innovative =
politically progressive."

   Jon Corelis    http://jcorelis.googlepages.com/joncorelis