From: Poetryetc: poetry and poetics [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Mark Weiss
Sent: August-25-09 12:03 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: PS Re: "Has British Poetry had any significance since Wordsworth?"

This got me thinking. We're probably all aware of the decline of
public interest in poetry, certainly in English-speaking countries,
and the attempts to rescue it by placing it in the protective
environment of the university, where it gets to feed on students. And
rather week-kneed promotional efforts like National Poetry Month and
festivals that only those already interested even notice. What's
needed is a larger public relations effort. I'm thinking that a Miss
Poetry pageant might be the way to go. If the bikinis are skimpy
enough there might be network time in it, despite the predictably
awful talent segments (though I imagine that some folks would get off
on scantily-clad girls spouting bad verse). And questions of national
supremacy could be settled for any given year by a well-paid panel of
judges. The whole thing, in fact, could put a lot of cash in the
hands of poets and their promoters, given the minipageants that would
be needed to support the main event--Miss Teen Poet of Bismarck North
Dakota, and the like. The world would be filled with something like poetry.

I don't claim any proprietary interest here, and would welcome
comments. It would be particularly nice if others could come up with
a role for male poets.

Mark