Dear Jaques

I thought your description of the ways in which these discussions tend to
unfold was spot on. Speaking as someone who tends to be a little 'off the
pace' with the list (and in life generally!), I find that, just as I feel
engaged by a topic, it has already degenerated into a mysterious and arcane
world of academic point scoring and I suddenly lose the will to live.
Nevertheless, I have learned much from the list as a listener/lurker and
agree that it should not be split, certainly not split between 'PhD issues'
and 'down-to-earth issues relating research to practice' as Teena Clerke
rightly points out.

Best wishes

Martin Salisbury
Reader in Illustration
Anglia Ruskin University
Cambridge
UK

--
EMERGING EXCELLENCE: In the Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) 2008, more than 30% of our submissions were rated as 'Internationally Excellent' or 'World-leading'. Among the academic disciplines now rated 'World-leading' are Allied Health Professions & Studies; Art & Design; English Language & Literature; Geography & Environmental Studies; History; Music; Psychology; and Social Work & Social Policy & Administration. Visit www.anglia.ac.uk/rae for more information.

This e-mail and any attachments are intended for the above named
recipient(s)only and may be privileged. If they have come to you in
error you must take no action based on them, nor must you copy or show
them to anyone please reply to this e-mail to highlight the error and
then immediately delete the e-mail from your system.

Any opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not
necessarily represent the views or opinions of Anglia Ruskin University.

Although measures have been taken to ensure that this e-mail and
attachments are free from any virus we advise that, in keeping with good
computing practice, the recipient should ensure they are actually virus
free.

Please note that this message has been sent over public networks which may
not be a 100% secure communications

Email has been scanned for viruses by Altman Technologies' email management service -
www.altman.co.uk/emailsystems