Hello,

I am half way through my PhD which also involves practice.

As far as I have read, some designer-researchers have rigoruously
studied their making processes with methods borrowed from other social
sciences such as antropology and education ie. diaries, field notes,
observational video as opposed to abusing the inaccessible nature of
making by taking the designer's knowledge as a mysterious gift.

Exploring this is training me about how to work within the distance
between my practice as a maker and my practice as a researcher.

Below are some articles and thesis that explain how theory and
practice can compliment each other. They are more about the process of
the practice-based research as opposed to its credibility or other
institutional matters.

I hope this helps some other phd students and researchers.

Cigdem

Durling, D., Friedman, K., Gutherson, P.,	 2002. “Editorial: Debating
the Practice-Based PhD”. International Journal of Design Sciences and
Technology, 10 (2): pp. 7-18.

Pedgley, O., 1999. “Industrial Designer’s Attention to Materials and
Manufatcuring Processes: Analyses at Macroscopic and Microscopic
Levels” Unpublished PhD Thesis, Loughborough University, UK.

Pedgley, O., 2007. “Capturing and Analyzing Own Design Activity”,
Design Studies. 28 (5). pp. 463-483.

Rust, C., 2007. “Unstated Contributions: How Artistic Inquiry Can
Inform Interdisciplinary Research”. International Journal of Design. 1
(3).pp. 69-76.

Schön, D., 1983. The Reflective Practitioner: How Professionals Think
in Action, Temple Smith. London.

Swann, C., 2002. "Action Research and the Practice of Design". Design
Issues. 18 (1). pp. 49-61.

Alinti Christopher Kueh <[log in to unmask]>

--
Research Assistant
Department of Industrial Product Design

t. 0212 2931310 x 2824