Dear Chris, Gavin, Ken

Recently the Portuguese Law about Higher education diplomas was changed
in order to be adapted to the Bologna Process for the creation of a
European Higher Education System. This area includes more than 40
independent states with different, similar and utterly different systems.

In the 2006 Law, the Portuguese Government defined the conditions for
awarding doctorates very similar to the “classic” PhD that Ken describes.

This year an independent commission hired by OECD visited the country to
produce a report about Higher Education in Art and Culture.

One of the conclusions was that a key factor to pull up, or push forward
Higher Education in Art and Culture would be awarding doctorates by
practice.

Obviously, the past month our government issued an annexe to the Law
allowing this kind of doctorates.

Since we don’t suffer from the anachronism of calling Philosophy Doctors
to anyone that conducts research sufficiently according to peers in any
area (we only call Philosophy Doctor to the ones that achieved it in
Philosophy Departments or Philosophy programs) we don’t have the anguish
that devours Ken’s intellectual guts.

We simply call Doctors to people. For instance, I’m a doctor in Visual
Communication in Architecture, my wife is a doctor in Communication and
Language specialized in Theory of Culture, my colleague next door Carlos
is doctor in Production Engineering. (of course that we had to do
research and a dissertation very similar but nicer to a Anglo-Saxon PhD)

Apart from these curious Latinisms, and since I was interviewed by the
OECD committee and defended elegantly the importance of awarding
doctorates by practice, I will give you my arguments:

*“The importance of a specific Doctor of Arts*

- Like the scientific PhD a DA should be sponsored by cultural agents
interested in the human resources outcome. Institutions like Fundação
Gulbenkian and Fundação da Colecção Berardo among others, or Television
Producers and Publishing Companies would more easily be involved in
financing doctoral students of high artistic abilities.

- The Society expects a creative outcome from the A&C institutions, so
the higher degree awarded should result from creative artistic work.

- If the publication in refereed journal would be substituted by other
forms of dissemination and peer approval like exhibitions and
performances, the general cultural activity would be enhanced.

- Specific Doctors in Arts strengthen the Academic Value of the A&C
institutions.”

I agree with Ken especially because he runs a Design School in a
University of Technology, but, I don’t know why there is this resilient
notion (at least in Latin countries) that Design is part of Art and
Culture and that design products are cultural goods.

So if the God of Bureaucracy will give us the right to award doctorates
this year we will consider the possibility of awarding it based on
project work.

Sorry for the long post,

Soon I’ll write something on how we are planning to structure it.

Cheers from the western shores of Europe,

Eduardo