Chris Kueh said:

 >>There have been some discussions on structure for practice based PhD
at Curtin University. Many supervisors/lecturers in Design and Art have
voiced their concerns over the appropriateness of logic based structure
for PhD with creative production component. I am just wondering what are
the structures that other universities are having for practice/creative
based PhD. Have there been such discussions/arguments at your
universities and how did you solve it? What are the main differences
between PhD and practice based PhD, in terms of the process and
credibility?<<

My main observation is that a PhD is a single piece of research so I
stay away from the idea of "components". Students must identify the
question or problem that they want to investigate and
choose/devise/compile/evolve methods for shedding light on that problem.
Chemists do practices of chemistry to advance their research so it's
reasonable for designers (or writers or musicians) to do their
professional practices in the same spirit AS LONG AS the doing helps to
advance our SHARED understanding of the problem.

Of course we don't have to do this in a very strict procedural way
(select problem > choose method > execute method > know answer)

Instead I would paraphrase Rittel and Webber and suggest that the
problem, the solution (contribution to knowledge) and the method might
emerge together over time. The problem of creative/professional practice
in research is not to fend off traditional methodologies, as is often
implied. Instead it's to hold on to the idea that you might be able to
use your creative practices to good account in your research, as
expediency (and the examiner) close in on you.

Best wishes from Sheffield
Chris

Professor Chris Rust FDRS
Head of Art and Design
Sheffield Hallam University, S1 2NU, UK
+44 114 225 6772
http://chrisrust.wordpress.com/

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the
future of the human race. - H. G. Wells