Hi Ann,

issues relating research to practice' are not polar opposites,
judging from the people I know who are practicing both and are also
subscribers to this list. I think what happens is that we tend to try
and essentialise and define what each of these is, which limits the
possiblity for ideas to cross over and fertilise. And I have found
that despite the run-ins in which I have been involved over the
years, the 'nature' of this list is up for grabs, depending on how
you construct meaning.

Also, I have found that although there are often only a few very
vocal people responsible for most of the textual production on the
list, much of it gets read (or 'skimmed'), some taken up, and still
some that crosses over into other arenas and discussions. In fact,
the list, its membership and its dynamics formed the basis of a rich
discussion in the empirical research of my PhD.

And although the '1500 others' might be silent/lurking, that doesn't
mean they are not listening, learning, taking up some of the ideas
and discussing these in other arenas such as the design
classroom/studio. If we split the list in two, what might constitute
the membership of each and how do we demarcate between PhD and
research-practice relationships?

I know the list isn't perfect, but it is progress.
kind regards, teena