From: John Dillon <[log in to unmask]>

>>> http://flickr.com/photos/33686579@N00/1519731846
>>> http://tinyurl.com/5olxee
>>> http://tinyurl.com/5v8sy5

>> well, there *might* be some 9th c. stones in that facade, but the right
hand portal and sculpture above it is obviously from c. 12.

> Thanks, chris.

> When I originally wrote that I had intended to write "ninth-century (?)",
following the indication on this page from Patrimoine de France:
> http://www.patrimoine-de-france.org/richesses-26-8674-66505.html

somewhat reliable (if woefully laconic).

> But the corresponding Structurae page caused me -- because I find those
pages generally well informed -- to drop the question mark:
> http://en.structurae.de/structures/data/index.cfm?id=s0045160

the "Date: 9th century" there is pretty worthless, obviously.

> The church was rebuilt in the eleventh century but retains some stonework
from a predecessor that's usually said to be Carolingian.  For a different
view of the predecessor's age, see:
> http://tinyurl.com/m85rlw

the regional Michelin Guides Bleu were my bibles, in my wandering youth.

as it happens, i have (for other reasons) beneath my eyes as we speak,

Hubert, Jean. “L’architecture et le décor des églises en France au temps
de Robert le Pieux (996-1031),” Cahiers archéologiques: fin de
l’antiquité et moyen âge, XXXVI, 1988, 13-40.

which reproduces some rather good details of the sculpted arcade-cum-figures
of the right facade (his figs. 26-30).

> This year, as often, I simply mechanically copied the previous year's
phrasing.

What!!??

you mean you don't start over, each day, re-doing all the research from
scratch?

>Are the sculptures certainly from C12 or, given the C11 rebuilding, could
they possibly be a little earlier?

yes.

don't believe everything that you see in off-the-top-of-the-head posts to this
list.

unfortunately, Hubert does not discuss this site in any detail, in spite of
his very good pics of it.

viewing the sculptures now in detail, i see that it is quite possible that
they might date from, say, the second quarter of the 11th c.,
"proto-romanesque," as it were.

figures like this are notoriously difficult (at least for me) to date --are
they truly "archaic" or merely "archaizing" (i.e., "primitive"?).

they are set within a context of stones which Hubert terms "appareil
décoratif" (e.g., the diagonally laid small square and diamond-shaped stones
of the faux-pignons, visible here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianritchie/1519733212/in/set-72157602074511523/
).

"...Il s'agit donc bien là d'un system, de l'expression d'une volonté
concertée qui tend à substituer à la nudité extérieure des murs de
l'église qui était de règle à l'époque carolingienne un décor, ou un
essai de décor." (p. 34)

couldn't have said it better myself.

whateverthahell it's saying.

p.s., i am scanning Hubert's article and could send a .pdf of it to anyone who
wishes to have a copy.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]