From: jbugslag <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 12:15:43 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: [M-R] Ex votos

John,
These are tough questions, but it seems probable that wax ex votos were mass-produced
from moulds at pilgrimage sites, and more precious ones would be made by local goldsmiths
for the upper end of the market, either "on spec" or individually commissioned.  Some wax ex
votos have survived, notably some in Exeter and some from Hergiswald, now in Berne, on
which see U.M. Radford, "The Wax Images Found in Exeter Cathedral," Antiquaries Journal, XXIX
(1949), 164-68, pl. XIX-XXI, and Iconoclasme: Vie et mort de l'image medievale, exh. cat. (Berne
and Strasbourg, 2001), p. 249.  More ambitious wax ex votos were life-sized kneeling figures of the
donor: until they were cleared out in the early modern period, the Church of the SS Annunziata in
Florence was choc-a-bloc with such images of Florentine notables; one recent study of this is Roberta
Panzanelli, Ephemeral Bodies: Wax Sculpture and one the Human Figure (Los Angeles, 2008).  One
of the best general studies of ex votos is still Lenz Kriss-Rettenbeck, Ex voto. Zeichen, Bild und
Abbild im christlichen Votivbrauchtum (Zurich and Freiburg i.B., 1972).  Another common type of ex
voto was an embossed silver plaque showing a body part, baby, animal, etc.  This type of ex voto has a
long history that extends in Greece far earlier than Christianity and is still in use there; this type of ex
voto was also common in western Europe during the early modern period and later.  And from about
the late 15th century, ex voto paintings began to appear, in which the "miraculous intervention" was
actually depicted -- this sort of ex voto is still firmly entrenched in Latin America and elsewhere.  I
have yet to learn exactly when the neat marble ex voto plaques so evident in many French churches
began to be used, but they do not appear to have been common before the 19th century.
Cheers,
Jim

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]