From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture on behalf of Gary Macy
Sent: Mon 31/08/2009 6:07 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] eucharitistic encouragement

Sensational!  Well, I have to admit, I did hesitate a bit over the title.

I tried to collect as many examples as I could of women in the West who performed sacramental acts in The Hidden History, but you might check out references in the East as well.  The bibliography in my book could get you started.  There is also good material on women who acted as bishops if you are interested in administration as well.  I can provide more information offline if you wish.

Gary Macy
John Nobili, S.J. Professor of Theology
Religious Studies Department
Santa Clara University
500 El Camino Real
Santa Clara, CA 95053-0335
408-554-2357

>>> Daniel Joslyn-Siemiatkoski <[log in to unmask]> 08/31/09 9:30 AM >>>

Following on Karl's suggestion, you might want to look at Gary Macy's new
book The Hidden History of Women's Ordination from Oxford. Despite the
sensational title, there is a good discussion of the issue.

Dan Joslyn-Siemiatkoski

On 8/31/09 9:02 AM, "Karl Brunner" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear Michelle,
> I remember the question, if woman in early middle ages could become
> "diaconae", for instance Sainte Genevieve. If you read German see Karl
> Heinrich SCHÄFER, Kanonissen und Diakonissen, in: Römische
> Quartalschrift 24/2, 1910, or Thiermeyer, Abraham-Andreas: Der
> Diakonat der Frau. Liturgiergeschichtliche Kontexte und Folgerungen,
> in: Theologische Quartalschrift 173 (1993) 226-236; or in French  A.
> G. Martimort, Les diaconesses. Essai historique (BiblEphL, Subsidia
> 24, Rom 1982) (sorry, I don't have a better citation).
> Cf. also Abaelard, Expositio in epistolam ad Romanos 16, 2 refering to
> Origenes, Hieronymus and others
>
> yours
> Karl, Vienna
>
> Am 31.08.2009 um 17:24 schrieb Sauer,Michelle Marie:
>
>> medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
>> culture
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I have a graduate student who wants to work on female saints who
>> perform somewhat "sacramentally," to use a loose expression. I was
>> thinking of those who function as confessors or encourage others to
>> accept communion. I would really appreciate thoughts and suggestions
>> on the topic, either privately or on the list.
>>
>> Thanks so much!
>> Michelle
>>
>> --
>> Michelle M. Sauer, PhD
>> Associate Professor of English & Women Studies
>> University of North Dakota
>> Department of English; Stop 7209
>> 276 Centennial Drive
>> Grand Forks, ND 58202
>>
>> P: 701-777-2783
>> E: [log in to unmask]
>> F: 701-777-2373
>>  join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME
>> to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address
>> it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the
>> message: leave medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask] In
>> order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to:
>>  For further information, visit our web site:
>> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html

> to: [log in to unmask]
> to: [log in to unmask]

Daniel Joslyn-Siemiatkoski
Assistant Professor of Church History
Church Divinity School of the Pacific
2451 Ridge Road
Berkeley, CA 94709-1217
(510) 204-0718

http://cdsp.edu/faculty_detail.php?id=8
http://us.macmillan.com/christianmemoriesofthemaccabeanmartyrs

Church Divinity School of the Pacific
The Episcopal Seminary of the West
Founding Member of the Graduate Theological Union

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]