The discussion about web stats for Creative Spaces got me thinking about my organisations web stats.

We have been using GoogleStats for a year now alongside StatCounter.  GoogleStats gives me Unique Visits whereas StatCounter gives me Unique Visitors so they aren't measuring quite the same thing but, like others it seems, the results from GoogleStats are consistently lower.

Does anybody have an explanation for why this is?

I'm always telling my managers that the important thing with web stats is to look at trends and only compare like with like as far as possible but our governing bodies and funders are looking at web stats from all sorts of sources and it can be difficult to explain why our web stats are lower or higher than other museums.

I remember a while back someone - MLA? - did a survey of how we collect web stats in the museums sector and as well as asking about what web package was used also asked questions like "Does your organisation collect data on how many documents / images are download from your website?"  Does anybody know if the results of that survey were ever published?

And what about museums using Flickr, YouTube etc.  How do you monitor web usage of resources to these sorts of site?

Linda Ellis

Project Manager Website
Wolverhampton Art Gallery
Lichfield Street