Hello,

Thank you everyone who has so far responded to the questionnaire for my
dissertation research - your help has been greatly appreciated.  Prior to
analysing my results I thought I'd re-distribute the link to the questionnaire for
anyone else who may wish to take part (the focus is on public libraries).

Thank you again,
Jodie Walker

----------------------

For my MA dissertation I am studying the marketing of public library services
during the current recession.  I’d like to invite public library employees to take
part in my research by answering a short questionnaire.  You don’t have to
work directly with library marketing, although it would be great if you do!

The questionnaire should only take about 8 minutes to complete; it consists of
a series of closed questions (with the option to comment further) about
marketing and public libraries.

My questionnaire: ‘"When in the red libraries are the new black": Marketing
public library services during the recession’ can be accessed by selecting the
following link:
http://www.zoomerang.com/Survey/?p=WEB229E5BRVUW5

Further Information
The recession has potentially increased the human and social need for Library
and Information Services (LIS) and this research aims to investigate if and
how this need is being targeted in LIS marketing.  The research will
consequently investigate the marketing of a significant economic crisis
between different public libraries and, in turn, potentially reflect how other
significant changes in the political, economic, social and technological macro-
environment are marketed.  The research also aims to investigate the
attitudes of librarians towards marketing such an economic crisis, with
particular respects to a regional versus national focus.

Information is being sought from you because of your direct association with
either public libraries or public library marketing.  Your information will provide
direct organisational observation and experiences to complement library
literature and theory.  Your participation in this research is entirely voluntary.
As such you may refuse participation or withdraw your consent at any time.

There are no lifestyle restrictions as a result of participation and no
foreseeable discomforts, disadvantages or risks.

Whilst there are no immediate benefits for participation in this study, it is
hoped that this work will provide insight into the relationship between public
library marketing and a significant economic event.  Recommendations may be
made which can help guide public librarians.  As your contribution will consist
of a one-time-only questionnaire you should not be affected if research stops
earlier than expected.  Information collected during the course of this
research will be strictly confidential.  You will not be identified in any reports
or publications.  Names and libraries will be anonymous in the research report,
although job title and library region will remain.  Within the questionnaire,
participant’s names and libraries will remain anonymous to the researcher.
Following the acceptance of the research, all participant information will be
destroyed to guarantee security.

The results of the research project will be presented in a MA in Librarianship
dissertation for the University of Sheffield.  This should become available at
the University of Sheffield by February 2010.

This research has been ethically approved by the Department of Information
Studies at the University of Sheffield.

If you feel that you would like to make a complaint about the surveying
process or any other aspect of this research please contact me at
[log in to unmask] or my research supervisor Professor Steve Whittaker
at [log in to unmask]  Your comments will be seriously considered
and steps taken to alleviate concerns.

Thank you for your time and assistance,

Kind regards,

Jodie Walker