Les

I don't see it as an either/or.  Cambridge has an iTunesU site.  The
university's policy on podcasts and video is fairly enlightened from the
accessibility, digital collection management and long-term preservation
points of view in that the material is normally deposited first with the
university Streaming Media Service.   It can then be made accessible
through a variety of platforms, including YouTube, the university web
pages and departmental/faculty sites, and the Streaming Media Service's
own site, as well as iTunesU.

At the point at which it is deposited the depositor is prompted to tick
a box indicating whether they would also like deposit in
[log in to unmask]  Since multimedia material normally comes to the
repository through this route it potentially allows some control over
formats and the Streaming Media Service can advise on preservation
issues.   At the moment the material is dark in DSpace but we hope to
open it up later.

Regards
Patricia

Patricia Killiard