Leslie Carr wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience with iTunes U? Our University is
> thinking of starting a presence on Apple's iTunes U (the section of
> the iTunes store that distributes podcasts and video podcasts from
> higher education institutions).
>
> It looks very professional (see for example the OU's presence at http://projects.kmi.open.ac.uk/itunesu/
>   ) and there are over 300 institutions who are represented there.
> HOWEVER, I can't shake the feeling that this is a very bad idea, even
> for lovers of Apple products. My main misgiving is that the content
> isn't accessible apart from through the iTunes browser, and hence it
> is not Googleable and hence it is pretty-much invisible. Why would
> anyone want to do that? Isn't it a much better idea to put material on
> YouTube and use the whole web/web2 infrastructure?

Oxford does both using the same datafeed: an iTunesU presence (which is
very popular in terms of downloads and as a success story within the
institution); and a local, openly available site serving up the same
content, <http://podcasts.ox.ac.uk/>. iTunesU only processes an RSS feed
(or equiv); the actual content remains hosted within the institution so
it's quite simple to expose it within multiple locations.

Mike

--
Dr Michael Fraser
Head of Infrastructure Systems and Services