From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mike Shaw
Sent: 10 August 2009 14:54
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Content and Computing Survey 2009: Section 5

Nick,

Many of the questions in Section 2 on Records look unanswerable to me.  Whereas in the 2005 survey you asked for a rough quantification, the 2009 survey asks for a percentage.  How is it possible to give a percentage of the number of place names, boundaries, industrial sites, palaeoenvironmental sites or even historic buildings in a particular area?  Given unlimited resources it would be of value to put say every pre-1950 building on the HER but I have no idea how many of these there are in my area, nor can I assess how many place names there are - how large is somewhere before it becomes a place?  And as for boundaries what does this mean - every wall, hedgerow etc in the whole of Wolverhampton or wherever.  Whereas in the 2005 survey I was able to answer Many, Few etc I have no idea of percentages.  What ahve others done?

Regards,

Mike