Hi Claudia,

I was under the impression that British rudists (genus Durania) are restricted to the non-flinty Lower Chalk. Might be wrong! Could your fossil be part of a heavy hinge of a large inoceramid bivalve? Difficult to see from your photo, but inoceramids are very common in flint.

Jon

"Hildebrandt, Claudia" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: The Geological Curator's Group mailing list <[log in to unmask]>

07/08/2009 16:56
Please respond to
"Hildebrandt, Claudia" <[log in to unmask]>

cc
Subject
Rudist bivalve in flint ?

Dear all,

hope some of you can help. We received this specimen (a fossil preserved in flint) about two weeks ago. It was found at Monmouth Beach, just west of Lyme Regis. The question: what is it?

First we thought it is just another sponge but looking at it a bit more closely (with the cyclindrical flint core, the concentric rings/impressions on the core and the white, honeycombe like shelly structure around) I started to think of Rudist bivalves. I compared it with some of the foreign rudist specimens at RAMM and there are certain ressemblances - although non of the RAMM specimens are preserved in flint.

As far as I know Rudists are not very common in this country and I couldn't find any reference on Rudist bivalves from the Lyme area.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks in advance
Claudia

<<DSC_0709-1.JPG>> <<DSC_0713-1.JPG>> <<DSC_0716-1.JPG>>
Claudia Hildebrandt

Assistant Curator of Geology

The Royal Albert Memorial Museum & Art Gallery

RAMM Offices - Bradninch Place

Gandy Street

Exeter
EX4 3LS

email: [log in to unmask]
tel: 01392 665358

"Exeter City Council is against a super-sized Council for Devon and supports a local solution for Exeter and its surrounding areas. To find out more visit www.letskeepitlocal.co.uk

Disclaimer: http://www.exeter.gov.uk/disclaimer [attachment "DSC_0709-1.JPG" deleted by Jon Radley/LH/WarksCC] [attachment "DSC_0713-1.JPG" deleted by Jon Radley/LH/WarksCC] [attachment "DSC_0716-1.JPG" deleted by Jon Radley/LH/WarksCC]