Hi Gaël,

Not sure if you'll accept this as a clear mathematical reason (one
might validly call it hand-waving) but here is what I think makes this
important:

In seed-based correlation analysis the quantity of interest (i.e. the
quantity that is used to define positive findings) is based on
correlation which itself is just a re-scaled covariance which in turn
is a second order statistics. SO, given that second-order statistics
are implicitly what you're after all pre-processing (such as the
process used to come up with a time series that end up being
correlated) should preserve second-order statistics in as much as
possible.
Simple Gedankenexperiment: imaging two voxels with identical but
inverted time course. The mean is flat and does not represent either
one of the time series whereas the Eigen-timeseries will correctly
express all the variance in the data. The mean is a first-order
statistics and in this (extreme) example generates a vector that does
not express variance at all, so any later correlation analysis becomes
meaningless.

A common argument for the mean is that noise ect will hopefully
average out so you end up generating a 'cleaner ' or 'purer' signal.
This 'de-noising' in my mind should be done by explicitly using
confound regressors, rather than expecting this to happen implicitly
during averaging by magic... both mean and Eigentiemseries are linear
combinations of the original data within the region, the only
difference being that instead of simply weighing all voxels equally
the SVD weighs these so that variance is preserved...

And here's the killer argument: the Eigenvector is what you get when
using SPM and the ROI tool (I think) so it must be right... ;)

Hope that makes sense.
cheers
Christian

On 13 Aug 2009, at 10:28, Gael Varoquaux wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 10:25:22AM +0100, Christian F. Beckmann wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Yes, the description of the method is very inclusive. Only issue I
>> have
>> is that I'd advice using the Eigen-timeseries rather than the mean
>> timeseries within the ROIs for further analysis
>
> Hi Christian,
>
> That's an interesting statement. I share your opinion on this
> technical
> point, but I have not been able to pin point a clear mathematical
> reason
> behind this. Do you have any justification?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gaël

Christian F. Beckmann, DPhil
Senior Lecturer, Clinical Neuroscience Department
Division of Neuroscience and Mental Health
Imperial College London, Hammersmith Campus
Rm 419, Burlington Danes Bldg, Du Cane Road, London W12 0NN, UK
Tel.: +44 (0)20 7594 6685   ---   Fax: +44 (0)20 7594 6548
Email: [log in to unmask]
http://www.imperial.ac.uk/medicine/people/c.beckmann/

Senior Research Fellow, FMRIB Centre
University of Oxford
JR Hospital - Oxford OX3 9DU
Tel.: +44 (0)1865 222551 --- Fax: +44 (0)1865 222717
Email: [log in to unmask]
http://www.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/~beckmann