Hi, Christian's semi-travelling right now so I'll take a stab:

On 23 Aug 2009, at 11:29, Philipp G. Saemann wrote:

> Dear Christian,
>
> after temporal concatenation group ICA, use of melodic_mix time
> courses to derive
> individual resting networks and voxelwise comparison of these
> between two group we see
> robust focal effects between the conditions.

Note that for some datasets/questions, using melodic_mix is a little
dangerous in this context - see Christian's OHBM abstract on why dual-
regression is preferable to back-projection (the latter is what you
get in melodic_mix).  If you'd like to beta-test the dual-regression
approach let me know and we can send you the stuff.

> My concern/hypothesis now is that 'simple' lower general network
> fluctuation amplitudes in
> one of the conditions leads to this (especially as the major nodes
> are affected).
>
> Question: is there a chance to use the melodid_mix file to derive an
> amplitude measure for
> each subject? E. g. by using FFT power? Or is the melodic_mix file
> changed by normalisation
> steps that no absolute amplitude information is contained any more?

The spatial maps are variance normalised in the core ICA in MELODIC -
so _yes_ there is relevant amplitude information in the timecourses.
However see the above comments - using the timecourses output by the
first stage of dual-regression would be safer than using melodic_mix.
Also, in general, the dual-reg script shows how to separate 'shape'
from 'shape-and-amplitude' effects in the spatial maps.

Cheers.

> Would you have an alternative suggestion on how to define the
> average percentage BOLD
> fluctuation of a resting network?
>
> Thanks a lot again!
> Philipp