Dear all,

I am trying to develop a take on Hannah Montana and would appreciate tips re: secondary literature, or any informed concepts. Being the now over-40 feminist that I am, I have trouble watching my 9-yr-old daughter`s universe being occupied by this "star" fantasy. I turned to girls`studies. This newly foming discipline seems  to be dominated by Foucault and Habermas adaptations. The writers often argue that subjects internalize power structures and images and monitor themselves accordingly (Foucault`s panopticon and other strands of his thoughts). They also often claim that the idea of what is public and what is private has changed, that public spheres have been redefined  etc. (Habermas on the need of a public sphere for demoncratic action). All this, especially certain Foucauldian analyses of phenomena that mark contemporary girlhood, is helpful. Afficionados of those theoreticians: I apologize for representing wood-cut-like, exemplary transpositions. My point is: I am specifically looking for other ideas that attempt to make sense of shows like Hannah Montana, e.g. Lacan on narcissism seems fruitful. Philosophically informed concepts are most welcome but also less heavy remarks, e.g. the idea of having a secret life, a double identity must certainly have cultural predecessors that might point to something in Hannah Montana.

I would really appreciate any input and just the plain gesture of "Have you read so and so?"

Thank you,

Nina

------------------------------------
Dr. Nina Zimnik
Dozentin ISBB Kommunikation Deutsch
ZHAW  (Zürcher Hochschule für Angewandte Wissenschaften)
Departement Angewandte Linguistik
Büronummer SF 03.09
Theaterstrasse 17, Postfach
CH-8401 Winterthur
tel. (+41) 77 207 2896 (from abroad)
077 207 2896

*
*
Film-Philosophy salon
After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to
For technical help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon
*
Film-Philosophy online: http://www.film-philosophy.com
Contact: [log in to unmask]
**