Hi Nina,

If you're exploring shojo then it may be useful to have a look at some
of these texts:

Allison, Anne (2000) Permitted & Prohibited Desires: Mothers, Comics
and Censorship in Japan: University of California Press.

Allison, Anne (2006) Millennial Monsters: Japanese Toys and the Global
Imagination: University of California Press. [particularly chapter 5
on Sailor Moon]

Miller, Laura and Jan Bardsley (eds) (2005) Bad Girls of Japan:
Palgrave Macmillan.

Napier, Susan (2007) From Impressionism to Anime: Japan as Fantasy and
Fan Cult in the Mind of the West: Palgrave Macmillan [Chapter 6 on
cosplay could be relevant]

Other texts that I thought could of some more general relevance are:

Harris, Anita (2004) Future Girl: Young Women in the Twenty First
Century: Routledge

Hopkins, Susan (2002) Girl Heroes: The New Force in Popular Culture:
Pluto Press.

Good luck with the article. It sounds very interesting

Kind Regards,

Adam Stapleton

On 8/13/09, Zimnik Nina (zini) <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> oh my. I just took two days off from the film festival in Locarno to make
> some headway on this Hannah Montana article that I have been meaning to
> write this summer. The Pardo places a focus on Mangas and animes. I have
> seen a lot of that lately. Thank you very  very much for pointing me to a
> take on the representation of girls in that field! as an aside: you may know
> that the anime industry is dominated by men. I mean aside from Japan`s
> leading tax payer, a woman who composes film music for these animes, there
> are no women in power positions. they draw, they reach mid-echelons etc. We
> are not in an American gender-conscious environment. -- at the Round-Table
> three days ago, the main men from the industry were gathered there, e.g. the
> director of 12 Pokemons, heads of the studios.  A woman from Swiss Films
> popped the gender question : where are the women? meaning : here at the
> table and in the films? well, despite the porn, despite the fact that animes
> are rooted in boy culture,  there are strong female figures that girls
> identify with. But not mine. None of her girlfriends like to watch the
> Japanese cartoons that we can watch on TV. I do not know why. They prefer
> Hannah Montana.
> Tomino, who received the Golden Leopard, was so refreshing. He said, oh, you
> know, we just make up these women. They are not women I would ever hope to
> conquer myself (imagine his Japanese giggle). He is old, a towering figure
> of the genre. Still, I cannot think of a man from my Euro-US walks of life
> who would have unabashedly admitted to such projections, to the joy he finds
> in them.
>
> ------------------------------------
> Dr. Nina Zimnik
> Dozentin ISBB Kommunikation Deutsch
> ZHAW  (Zürcher Hochschule für Angewandte Wissenschaften)
> Departement Angewandte Linguistik
> Büronummer SF 03.09
> Theaterstrasse 17, Postfach
> CH-8401 Winterthur