Dear Nina,

I came into the debate a bit late... instead of thinking about debates
of realness (Baudrillard, Zizek etc), what first came to my mind was
Boorstin's notion of human emptiness. What might constitute meaningful
or emptiness for young female fans/girls? The references suggested
thus far should be useful, as might be classic star/celebrity studies
and fan studies literature- Rojek (celetoid e.g.), Marshall, McRobbie,
Jackie Stacey (given the discussion about distance).

The literature of the transnational circulation of Japanese media and
girl fan culture prompts another direction of research, doesn't it? Is
it necessary to consider the international circulation of Hannah
Montana?  It's interesting that you were first alerted to  the subject
from your daughter's experience who lives in Switzerland? How does
Montana (a Disney creation) engender such wide, universal appeal? The
programme is available in South Asia, East Asia and South America as
well. I wonder what the reception is like in all these places because
Hannah Montana seems the epitome of Euro-American, mostly white
girlhood to me (am definitely above the age of the target audience, so
I could be wrong there!), which reminds me of some work I did on
Barbie. That will lead to a whole lot of other literature.

Best,
Fai

--
Leung Wing-Fai/Leon Hunt
East Asian Cinemas: Exploring Transnational Connections on Film

Further contact:
SOAS [log in to unmask]
University of Bristol [log in to unmask]

*
*
Film-Philosophy salon
After hitting 'reply' please always delete the text of the message you are replying to
For technical help email: [log in to unmask], not the salon
*
Film-Philosophy online: http://www.film-philosophy.com
Contact: [log in to unmask]
**