Carlos

About a year ago I wrote to the CONSORT statement organization and suggested that they add “possible competing interests” to the checklist. They replied that this would be in the next update, but did not say when the next update would be made. The current CONSORT statement was made in 2001.

Michael

From: Dr. Carlos Cuello [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 06 August 2009 05:04
Subject: Re: another reason

Thanks for the responses

On this subject. How important would be the declaration of conflict of interests (COI) by the authors on the validity of the article? Should it be on the critical appraisal checklists?
On a systematic review checklist for validity, a funnel plot searching for publication bias is an important item to look for. Publication bias sometimes is not a random or systematic error, it could be an intentional bias (fraud, deceive??), the best example is the one we saw with Vioxx and the reason why clinicaltrias.gov and other trial registration sites were created.

"Research journals are still doing too little to protect themselves and their readers from the burgeoning incidence of scientific fraud, a poll of editors has found. Despite a spate of high profile misconduct cases in recent years"
http://tiny.cc/h7WGe

My point is; Should CASP and other critical appraisal tools check for COI and other "intentional bias"? As it is done in the systematic review checklists when looking for publication bias?
Does these items affect the validity (internal or external)?