It is strange but true that we need to maintain two different faces (a public and private) to practice medicine.

I agree with Britt that although facebook does contain a lot of our private details it is still a public face and one that we can use wisely to our advantage (like just using those private details that look good in public). Facebook is quite a facemask really.

But then other than using it as a selling tool for themselves, physicians can also help their chronic disease patients by following their health status updates and commenting judiciously (with a few evidence based links) on their problems.

Regular facebook follow ups on their patients may help to reduce hospital visits and improve health outcomes (another title for an article as yet unpublished).

regards,

rakesh