Apologies for cross-posting.

This is the first announcement for the full day workshop *Lost in
Translation: The Science-Policy Intersect* on Sunday, October 11, 2009 to be
held in association with the SMM’s 18th  Biennial Conference on the Biology
of Marine Mammals in Quebec City, Canada.

*Lost in Translation: The Science-Policy Intersect*

It is now rare to find any scientific discovery, theory or even a single new
data point (especially in data-poor fields such as marine mammal science)
that is not being used or mis-used in one or more policy forums. Should
scientists change the way they work and report their results, or even
correct mis-representations of their work by others? If so, how should this
be done? And if scientists get involved in policy, how deeply should they
delve and how can they do so without losing their objectivity and while
preventing bias from affecting their work?

To address these questions, we intend to invite scientists working on the
science-policy boundary to discuss their experiences at this intersect in
short (20- minute) presentations with the hope of providing cautionary tales
and guidance to a wider scientific audience. These presentations will also
consider how science should be used in policy, as well as how it is actually
used in policy. We will also have a legal expert explain some of the
terminology used in laws and regulations to illustrate the standards that
managers must meet.

The workshop will then break into open discussion on the following topics:

1) *If, when, why and how scientists should consider the policy implications
of their work*; and

2) *How scientists, especially those funded specifically to address a
management concern, can phrase conclusions, statements and recommendations
to optimize their use and minimize potential for misuse.*

Speakers are currently being scheduled – we will provide the program in a
forthcoming announcement.

To register for this workshop, please go to the SMM web site at:
*
*
http://www.marinemammalogy.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=918&Itemid=215

The workshop will take place on Sunday, October 11, 2009 from 8:30am to
5:30pm in Room 207.

Space is limited – there will be a registration fee of $35.00US, which will
include breakfast (starting at 8am) and coffee breaks – method of payment
will be announced later. Given the large number of great workshops being
offered at this biennial, if you can attend for only a half-day, we will
charge a half-day fee of $10.00US.

We look forward to seeing you there.

 *Naomi A. Rose, Ph.D.*
Senior Scientist, HSI-Wildlife
*t* +1 301.258.3048     *f* +1 301.258.3082

Humane Society International
700 Professional Drive    Gaithersburg, MD 20879    USA
*hsi.org <http://www.hsi.org/>*

Join Our Email List <http://www.hsi.org/join>
Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/hsiglobal>
    Twitter <http://twitter.com/hsiglobal>

[image: Humane Society International - Celebrating Animals | Confronting
Cruelty | Worldwide] <http://www.hsi.org/>