As John pointed out, it's a marketing scam.
More details:
http://scienceblogs.com/goodmath/2009/08/the_chevy_volt_gets_230_mpg_on.php
miles-per-gallon is obviously ambigious when referring to an electric car.
But people will fall for it, GM will sell cars, and the marketing boys at GM
will have champagne! Everyone is happy.