On Thu, 6 Aug 2009 15:47:10 +0100, Sarah Roberts
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

All,
In investigating a site which has a potential to have been
contaminated with elemental mercury during operation, it is necessary
to consider the potential for it to still be present and hence whether
there is a requirement to test for it.  Available information suggests
that elemental mercury will volatilise readily and any remaining will be
transformed into much less volatile inorganic mercury salts.

My enquiry is then two fold:

1 - Does anyone know of environmental laboratories who have the
capability to test for Elemental Mercury with suitable accreditation?

Thanks in anticipation

Sarah

Elementla Hg is no problem, any decent lab should be able to do it, the
problem arises for inorganic, response from one of our favoured labs
below:

"Unfortunately we are unable to analyse for them [methyl and
inorganic Hg] in-house, we can subcontract methyl mercury for £70 per
sample however as yet we do not have a subcontractor for inorganic
mercury as it is not regularly requested."

Kind Regards
A Laboratory