From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Pascal Egea
Sent: Monday, August 10, 2009 4:00 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] DNA binding protein

Hi Neeraj,

An absorption spectra between 220 and 400 nm (for example) should show you if there is DNA coming along with your protein. In theory A280 is about 1.7 times A260 for a pure protein sample. This is a rough estimate. If your peak is shifted towards 260 instead of 280 then you can suspect the presence of contaminating DNA or RNA.

As to get rid of the DNA, I can suggest several ways to do it.

1-An heparin affinity column could out-compete your contaminating DNA while binding your protein. They work really well.

2-Ion exchange is worth trying. It has worked for me with an extremely basic archeal RNA binding protein purified in E.coli and bringing along some endogenous RNA/DNA. An ion exchange ( Mono-S type) got rid of the contaminating nucleic acid, however with some loss of protein.

3-DNAse treatment may be worth trying but the presence of traces of DNase may be a problem with subsequent crystallization trials in presence of the bona-fide target DNA sequence.

4-Precipitation of the DNA with streptomycine sulfate. You could also loss some protein.

 1 and 2 are in my opinion the less invasive soutions.

Hope this helps.

Best regards

Pascal Egea