Dear Ose,

I think we have met similar problems. My protein is relatively small, ~17kD, but it could form aggregates larger than 100nm. A classic Protein Science paper in 2003 by DR Smith titled "Crystal structures of fusion proteins with large-affinity tags" offered me great help. With MBP tag and optimized linker my protein became significantly less aggregated (~10nm).
However, this is still far from a guarantee for success since it is still quite difficult to obtain crystals, although Jovine's group reported a recent success about ZP-N.

By the way, can you observe a monomer peak during ultracentrifuge? In terms of DLS, how about the polydispensity? HPV E6 also aggregates to similar size, but the granules were relatively homogeneous. More importantly, it was observed that in cell the protein could still form such large aggregates. Maybe for some proteins, they were just meant to be like this. And based on my very limited knowledge, most structures of such proteins remained as the "higher-hanging fruit".

Last but not the least, J Jancarik, et al. designed a elegant protocol (2004£¬Acta Cryst. D60. 1670-1673.) to find the optimized buffer that could increase the solubiltiy and homogeneity, whichmight be helpful too.

Good luck!

Xuan Yang