James,

Dima is right.  One of the protocols for protein-refolding with sarcosyl uses cyclodextrins to remove it.   However, sarcosyl is an anionic detergent above pH 5.5 under most conditions, so any ion exchange platform should work well to markedly reduce its presence in a preparation.  Also, it is extremely insoluble in the presence of divalent cations (as SDS is) and crystallizes readily.  I probably wouldn't try removing it with an IMAC column as it will bind to some extent and lead to continued contamination (something we have seen).  It is possible that hydroxyapatite column might be a good matrix for removing it.

As sarcosyl is anionic, it is slower to dialyze across most membranes. However, we have had good results for detergent removal just using a standard spin-desalting column with G-25 Sephedex.  It is not absolutely quantitative detergent removal, but 100x decreases are easily reached in less than 20 min.  For sarcosyl, you could set up the column with G-25 DEAE-Sephedex at a pH where your protein doesn't bind and comes out in the flow-through.  After 1-2 centrifugations, your protein should be free of sarcosyl.

Regards,

Michael

R. Michael Garavito, Ph.D.

Professor of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology

513 Biochemistry Bldg.

Michigan State University

East Lansing, MI 48824-1319

Office:  (517) 355-9724     Lab:  (517) 353-9125

FAX:  (517) 353-9334        Email:  [log in to unmask]