From: Claudia Scotti <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Mon, Aug 24, 2009 7:30 am
Subject: [ccp4bb] Linux flavour and hard disks

Dear List,

I'm planning to migrate soon from Red Hat Linux 7.0 on an HP xw6000 workstation with dual Xeon processor.

Please, any suggestion for the best Linux flavour to get the most out of today's crystallographic software? I've seen that both Ubuntu and Fedora are quite common.

Also I'm in doubt about the following: will it be safer to use two mirror hard disks (as I'm doing now) or to use one HD for the software and one for the data?

And, finally, please, what HD size is today most reasonable (big, but still fast enough)?

Thanks a lot,

Claudia=0

Claudia Scotti Dipartimento di Medicina Sperimentale Sezione di Patologia Generale Universita' di Pavia Piazza Botta, 10 27100 Pavia Italia Tel. 0039 0382 986335/8/1 Facs 0039 0382 303673

check out the rest of the Windows Live™.
More than mail–Windows Live™ goes way beyond your inbox.
 More than messages=