Parveen,

Bert and Pascal are correct in that most alkyl glycoside detergent are notoriously difficult to crystallize in aqueous solution when you have the beta-anomer (what we normally buy).  However, the alpha-anomers can be quite easy to crystallize and can contaminate batches of beta-alkyl glycoside detergents.  While the quality control procedures are usually good enough to ensure that the alpha-anomer contamination of DDM, DM, and OG are low, it may not be low enough for all crystallization experiments.  Twenty or so years ago, I was even shown a batch of "pure" beta-OG from a company I shall not name which was insoluble in water.

Some people have complained about this, but the impact of alpha-anomer contamination on crystal growth and spurious detergent crystallization is unknown.  If this persists and you are sure that those are detergent crystals, you might ask to see information about alpha-anomer contamination for your batch of detergent.  Companies like Anatrace will be quite forthcoming with information, but larger companies (Sigma or Rohm & Haas) may give you the run around.

Good luck,

Michael

R. Michael Garavito, Ph.D.

Professor of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology

513 Biochemistry Bldg.

Michigan State University

East Lansing, MI 48824-1319

Office:  (517) 355-9724     Lab:  (517) 353-9125

FAX:  (517) 353-9334        Email:  [log in to unmask]