Hi,

I am sorry that I cannot recall the highest concentration of DTT that I ever
used (inadvertently) when working with disulphide-containing proteins.
However I have the following mildly useful suggestion:

If you have properly formed -S-S- as well as a bunch of free -SH perhaps a
safer strategy is to modify the available -SH with something - it could be a
reversible protective group or a permanent one such as iodiacetamide. This
way you avoid playing with -S-S- shuffling entirely. Notably, this will
reduce your chances of obaining a derivative since protected -SR are much
less likely to react with heavy atom agents.

As a useful bonus, if you modify the SH with e.g. iodoacetamide, then run MS
on the intact protein - you will find out how many -SH remain unmodified.
Among those, some are in -S-S- bonds and some are buried and therefore
inaccessible to the reagent. By repeating iodoacetamide treatment
post-reduction or on an unfolded sample you can further figure out the
pattern.

Good luck,

Artem

"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if
the sand were stone"

 Jorge Luis Borges

  _____