I CANT BE SURE of what has happened BUT maprot is a very complicated
procedure and your script is trying to do 2 things at once - change the
cell and apply the mask.
I would try changing the cell first,  then generating the mask, then
applying it

or else: generate mask, apply mask, then change cell.

 But at every stage look at the result! ( mapslicer or coot or whatever)
to make sure you have really achieved what you are aiming for!

Eleanor