Why is the tantalum bromide cluster the cluster derivative of
choice for phasing large structures? As a inorganic chemist
(in a previous incarnation) I can think of a lot of other
possible clusters that might be suitable. I even have money
from a bioinorganic grant that could finance a PhD student
from October 1st to work on a project with me in Goettingen
to investigate other clusters. In view of the recent
success of Tobias Beck's 'magic triangle' phasing reagent I
think that clusters containing several heavy atoms might well
be worth another look with modern phasing methods (potential
applicants should contact me by email).

George

Prof. George M. Sheldrick FRS
Dept. Structural Chemistry,