hi miekal, well this is my xp from the mid to l8 1970s. it changed
over the years driven by different waves of participants. here's a
bit of fluff on the WF workshop at that time (Bill Griffiths, Allen
Fisher, Lawrence Upton, Jeremy Adler, PC Fencott, Sean O'Huigin, Ulli
Freer, Paige Mitchell, Pierre Joris?, Maggie O'Sullivan, Alaric
Sumner . . . help i don't want to get into attempting a comprehensive
list and either include nor exclude for portrait purposes . . . that
kind of lot though, maybe Eric Mottram . . . Geraldine . . . ?? i
know was around but not in London so less frequently . . . Robert
Sheppard, Adrian Clarke . . . Gilbert Adair . . . it was a fun crowd)

Writing was frequently (although far from always) read by more than
voice, two or three voices (or more), reading in close interaction,
with syncopation, with overlapping stresses, with partial erasure,
foreground and background scripting, staccato narrative assemblages
and dialogistic interjection. The workshop sat more or less in a
circle. Texts were sometimes arraigned across the floor or cascading
from the ceiling or fluttering loose in the hand. Listening with
attentive vision was at a premium. Spatial placement of sound became
an area of investigation and spatiality of paginated notations, both
placement of pages in the room and spatialisation of writings on the
page, were consequent. Some quite extraordinary musicians attended
from time to time. There were international visitors too. Bill
Bissett, Jerome Rothenberg come to mind. Interruption and distraction
of both the scripted and the unscripted were qualities considered
delicious rather than screened out; I referred at that time to such
displacements and noise in a performance of writing as exquisite
interference. Consequently attention was full on and wide open. In
workshop presentations a dynamic interchange ‘between’ improvisation
and composition often presented itself. The potential live
performance of a piece of writing often gave rise to consecutive
versions in which two or three different possibilities were offered.
In other words the same poem might be tried in a number of different
ways, either during one workshop or in consecutive workshops.
Writings were thereby explored through out-loud readings as being
subjects for revision, a direct result of having been aired. A
performance of writing, in the majority of these cases intended to be
in conversation with the possibilities for the poem, was an occasion
of a moment. One occurring ‘between’ the body of giver and the body
of receiver, belonging to neither one nor the other, a signal, even
secretion, of mobilised liminal exchange. Also ‘between’ the writing
on the page and the writing off the page, projected through the
bodies of its temporary operators as sonic orientation and propulsive
gesture.

This workshop, which had the qualities of a research group, was a
seedbed for emergent collaborations; indeed collaboration was
encouraged by dint of the enquiries conducted as already mentioned.
Many of its participants helped each other to contest the boundaries
of their poems. The workshop would be held in an upstairs room of a
public house; in a meeting house; in a private house; in a theater
workshop space . . . Bob would usually start things off by simply
asking who wanted to go first. I never witnessed much by way of
detailed feedback neither for nor against a poem. There would simply
be the acknowledgment by those there that something had been put into
the pot.

just a snapshot

xx

cris