David, do you see any lack of logic in making an analogy between the history
of poetry, a relatively universal and ancient art form (the techniques and
appropriate subjects of which have been taught in a diverse range of
educational/court/hedge/castle/camp/college contexts in the course of all
that space and time) to jazz, a 20th century American invention in popular
music?  I love jazz but if, for you, poetry is jazz, your poetry is very
particular and Pound's "make it new" might work (what Shelley definition are
you thinking of?).  Comparing poetry to music works for me (though not for
Mark who hasn't been to Ireland enough to know that hearts beat even before
tongues form words).  But comparing poetry to jazz involves rejecting so
much, including the conservative functions of poetry and, of course, its
history, in many cultures including English, of expressing the ideas of
those supported by the best of what education, at any given time, had to
offer.  I can see your point in relation to jazz, that's history, and what
was a massively exciting popular and virtuosic form is so no longer.  I
don't grasp the analogy with poetry.
Maybe if Slam was as big as jazz, and as fun, and it moved into the
universities after 60 or 70 years ....
Well Slam *is* pretty big, and it *is* pretty fun, and I do actually know
quite a few Slam poets teaching and they do pretty good work, though they're
getting on perhaps.  Now I've thrown Slam into the mix, it'll be interesting
to see people's embrace of it.
Your analogy with architecture works better for me as, like writing,
architecture has a commitment to both function and art, ideally.  I don't
really get your dismissal of the vast majority of architects, I suppose
because of the particularity of my own situation working closely as a writer
with architects and architecture students.  I get daily consolation from
some buildings in Providence, including the State House (7th largest
unsupported dome in the world, though some say the 11th, McKim, Mead and
White--McKim, architect too of spaces in the Boston Public Library which
have consoled me), and my humble house.
Maybe you're right to focus on the "vast majority" who don't come up to
scratch for you.  The achievements are so stunning though, when achieved,
through the almost unaccountable miracle (to a poet's mind) of so many
people and so much power and money coming together (generally to express
power and money, it is true).  The poetry equivalent is probably the words
of Akhmatova being carried away from her in the intent memory and on the
tongues of others, at a time when they could not be committed to paper.