Yes, it's not like that here, in my experience.  I was responding more directly to Jeffrey though.
Probably the particularity of cultural experience obstructs clear communication.  So we not disagreeing so much as talking about different experiences and understandings.
Mairead

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 12:42 PM, Tim Allen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Mairead:

>"I don't know what to say about this.  For me poetry is about language.  So abstract nouns are fine.  Writing what I knew would be an excellent recipe for writer's block.  I think what we say on this subject is informed by personal history and mutually agreed shared history.  It's not comprehensive."<

Of course it's not comprehensive, I said it was particular, to England, over a certain period, a 'general drift' etc. I said there were exceptions. Don't you believe me then Mairead?

You say poetry is about language. Well, I might kind-of agree with you, but I know that 90% of the people involved with poetry in UK would strongly disagree, even now. For the 'workshop school' poetry was not language, poetry was the disclosure of a heightened truth through the medium of the tool of language as prompted by an individual's deep response to an experience - that sort of thing.

Tim A.