It's perhaps relevant that the sonnet sequence that William Carlos Williams destroyed en route to becoming "modern" was explicitly described by him as "Keatsian."

For what it's worth in an article published some time ago I did some counting of the direct mentions of Romantic poets by later poets, using the C-H Full-text English Poetry Database. In the first third of the century, as one might expect, Byron and Wordsworth have many more mentions--the difference being that many more of Wordsworth's are derogatory or satiric. By the end of the century both Shelley and Keats are more often apostrophized by poets than either Wordsworth and Byron. Amy Lowell didn't write a biography of Wordsworth.

Jeffrey makes good points about Wordsworth's didacticism--though they were made memorably by Keats in a famous letter--but it's precisely W's didactism that made him a Victorian (d. 1850) for the youngsters of 1900; Keats for them was a thing of beauty and joy forever.

This discussion has sent me back to the lovely discussions of Romantic language and modernism in The Pound Era ("The Invention of Language" and "Words Set Free"). Kenner juggles British Romantics, French symbolistes, Poe, Whitman with masterful ease.

David Latané