Plumbers don't do workshops. I can't think of any artisans who do
(although anything is possible).

I don't think there's anything wrong with structured learning,
although I don't think that's synonymous with workshops. I don't think
there's anything particularly wrong with poetry workshops. I can
imagine that sometimes they can be challenging, stimulating, exciting
&c. I kind of suspect that more often they're a way for poets to make
money, and for the participants to make friends. Neither of which is
inherently bad.

I guess it also depends what a workshop is. Last month I spent two
weeks in workshops developing an idea for a piece of theatre; I'll
spend another two weeks at the end of August developing what I've
written in between the workshops. Although it is, in a real sense, a
learning experience, it's also a workshop that assumes all the
participants know what they're doing and isn't about teaching. It's a
very broad term.

(Btw, where did this guy get the idea that artists in the performing
arts don't support each other? It's a collaborative artform!)

xA

--
Editor, Masthead:  http://www.masthead.net.au
Blog: http://theatrenotes.blogspot.com