Jamie,

It is very difficult for me in the context of a forum to present a detailed
argument for my position regarding Wordsworth's influence on UK
poetry. That's why I suggested an email exchange, where I can send
you articles and chapters I have written by email attachment. This can't
be done on a forum for obvious reasons.

My gripe with Wordwsworth is not so much that I don't like his poetry,
but that he is taken so seriously. It is really his admirers that I am
critical of, or rather those admirers that have embraced him to such an
extent that his influence is now supreme.

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 13:33:48 +0100, Jamie McKendrick
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Jeff,
>That's what I meant about patronizing - it's wiser not to assume that
people
>you disagree with are idiots, even if they are. "Most people", I think,
make
>their own minds up about what they enjoy. If you mean : do I think
>everything Wordsworth wrote was brilliant then, no, I don't. The
Prelude has
>some longeurs, but I'm ready to bear with them, and I mainly (as far
as I
>can remember) prefer the 1805 to the 1850 version. I was deeply
disappointed
>by the subject matter of his 'Ejaculation', find quite a few of the Lyrical
>Ballads inadvertently comic, find His Sonnets Upon the Punishment of
Death
>repellent in the extreme - and in this respect I think he deserves
>Browning's damning rebuke in The Lost Leader. But Browning also
knows he's a
>great poet ('Learned his great language,caught his clear accents...').
Even
>Byron's attack on him at the start of Don Juan, which I also enjoy,
may be
>shadowed by a sense of Wordsworth's quality.
>   If you want to pursue the argument, it might be worth trying to
address
>Peter Riley's good question about where, specifically, you see this bad
>influence manifested. (I don't mean just repeating words
like "descriptive"
>and "mainstream").
>   Your next email has just arrived:
>
>>>"The best we can do individually is write as well as we
>>>can, and speak up - wherever that's possible - for the poetry we are
>>>passionate about. "
>

>>But when I do this you don't like it.
>
>You've misunderstood me. I haven't ever encountering a piece of your
>critical writing which was in praise of any poetry, and so I don't yet
know
>whether I'd dislike it. You may believe that dismissing huge swathes
of
>poetry is the best defence for the kind of writing you genuinely
admire, but
>I think the strategy is mistaken, and only backfires,
>Jamie

Wordsworth?"