I wonder who wrote the intro, and when it was written.  "Parish priest" may well mean different things in Ireland and England (and your intro, for some reason, doesn't mention his most senior post, in Dublin).
For example, Father Ted is the parish priest of Craggy Island.  Father Dougal and Father Jack, while they may work in the parish (though being Father Dougal and Father Jack, they don't), are curates.  I don't know that Jesuits work in a diocesan sense at all.  Then again, I am not that familiar with the terms "select preacher" or "missioner" either, leaving me wondering again about the date and provenance of your introduction, as well as the slight cultural gap between our islands.
Mairead