I used to think that I could separate the young poets who really had
something from the utterly talentless. A lot of years later I've seen
too many of the unformed but interesting fail to develop or develop
into mediocre and the utterly talentless blossom into wonders. I try
to be helpful, but one can't predict the necessary stubbornness, nor
luck, nor brain chemistry.

Which is in no way to denigrate the energy to run off in five
directions simultaneously, to leapfrog over one's own conclusions, to
discover constantly. It was an ecstatic experience, with all the
terrors associated with exstasy, and it's a great spectator sport.
But it's nice to have a pretty good sense that when I enter a liminal
state I'm likely to emerge intact, however changed.

Mark