Exercise tolerance in McArdle's is often not that bad. Classically, they get pain and stiffness early, relieved by rest, but if they carry on they move from getting muscle energy from glycogen to getting it from blood-borne substrate (the "second-wind" phenomenon) and can do quite strenuous exercise in some cases. Our patient was quite a fit guy and did regular sports training. He had got used to "feeling knackered at the start", but after resting for a short time could exercise for quite long periods.

What did for him was being challenged to a swimming race by his 14 year old son... Extreme exercise from a standing start, in the sea in Scotland so your peripheral circulation is shut down! Wasn't a good idea...

Mike

From: Clinical biochemistry discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mohammad Al-Jubouri
Sent: 26 August 2009 14:04
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: High CK - ?further investigation

Within the scenario context given by Rob "....... having spent all day laying slabs in his garden", I am not sure that a McArdle's patient has the exercise tolerance to do such a heavy duty job without being stopped very early by muscle pain and stiffness. I still think that exertional rhabdomyolysis due to unaccustomed exercise load is the more likely explanation. However, you could do the ischaemic forearm exercise test while at it and let us know the result.

Mohammad