On Thu, 2009-08-06 at 12:33 +0100, Dominic Fox wrote:

> Dementia sometimes gives way to brief episodes of lucidity, which I
> gather can be very distressing (perhaps like encountering oneself as
> another not knowing). Lyric poetry as a kind of lucid episode?
>
> Dominic

Dominic, I like this image very much. I can run some way with the idea
of (eg) lyric as lucid moments in the midst of aphasia. Yes, I do like
the idea.

I had, speaking of dementia, read Stephen's blog. I was carer for my
mother during her last painful wheelchair years so this was a bit too
close, hence I skimmed and could be forgiven for this, I would expect.

I am very fortunate that I can recover from CFS related dementia and it
is not a good idea to try and get back into this memory, however, beyond
this I also seem to be surrounded by dementia. Henri Bergson spent ten
years researching aphasia before writing Matter and Memory and I can get
a sense of his intense interests.

Have yet to read posts on narrative yet.... best Chris Jones.