Very interesting comment Tom. I watch this list closely, though my main concern is schools, because there is overlap in the FE college area.

It does seem there is considerable difference between the kinds of 'VLE' needed across the age ranges. Primary school need is certainly very different to secondary school need, and both are obviously also very different to university need. Maybe the VLE for properly mature learners is basically the Internet, as the learners (if not the lecturers?) can find the systems they need for a full online life.

At secondary school the thrust we see is towards creating an online world, which engages students and which scaffolds their approach to their life in school, and to learning. It has a lot to do with guiding students' attention, developing positive attitudes to schools, transmitting the school's culture and ethos, and helping students communicate and collaborate in new ways that are not easy to arrange with schools organised as most are. The result is that the schools and LAs are seeing the learning platform as the 'window' onto the online world, within which everything else the school wants students and teachers to access will be seamlessly integrated.

It would be interesting to hear whether any FE colleges are using their VLEs in the same way as schools, as coherent online worlds to engage and scaffold, or more like the university picture you paint of horses for courses, accessed individually as people want to.

Roger.