On Jul 5, 2009, at 11:12 PM, Peter W. Draper wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Jul 2009, Mark Taylor wrote:
>
>> as I already said, TOPCAT and friends are between releases at the
>> moment.  I haven't decided yet exactly what to do about that in
>> relation to Nanahope, but it will probably be something along the
>> lines of wait until a starjava release branch is made and then turn
>> off functionality which is unfinished or undocumented in that branch.
>> The details will depend on when that branch is likely to be made
>> (as well as how various other tasks I'm juggling go on that
>> timescale).
>
>> Do you have a plan/guess about when this will be?
>
> None at the moment, it's a JAC call, that is I'll put this off until
> Brad
> makes a nanahope branch in the git repository.

subversion surely (for starjava)? I imagine you can create the full
top level branch of starjava whenever you want since Mark and Peter
are the only two people who commit to it.

> The only jobs I have outstanding for the release are rebuilding all
> the
> JNI libraries. All the SPLAT and JNIAST libraries are now out of
> date, but
> that's not worth tackling until we're sure AST is in its release
> state,

are we expecting David to make more AST changes?

> plus Brad usually rebuilds these for the specific release (this
> differs
> from my policy of building the libraries on as old a platform as I can

I don't see a problem with shipping specifically old JNI libraries for
the release.

> find to maximise compatibilty for more general STARJAVA releases, so
> there's a bit of conflict there).

One subtlety for the OSX 64-bit builds is that they will only be done
on Leopard with Java 1.6 because Tiger does not really work well in 64-
bit mode and java 1.5 does not seem to come with a 64-bit mode on
Leopard.

--
Tim Jenness
Joint Astronomy Centre