In any repeated measures design you need to include the subject term. In regards to the error terms and DF. Since you are purely interested in the effects between groups, you should compute two-sample t-tests. Th repeated measures factorial design is only good for computing condition effects and group*condition effects.

The issue, in my opinion, isn't with the inflated df, but with a reduced error term. The reduced error term increases the statistical results artificially. If you look at how the statistics are computed by hand for various effects according to the formulas from a statistics book, you will note that there are two-error terms: a within-subject error that is used to compute the statistics for within-subject effects (e.g. condition and condition*group) and a between subject error term. SPM only computes a single error term -- within-subject for a properly set up repeated measures design. This leads to the statement that if you are interested in the group effects, one should use two-sample t-tests -- which use the the between subject error term since that is all that is in the model.