Dear Yune,

I fully agree with Jonathan.

In addition, the answer as to reliability will depend a great deal on which area you are looking at. As a rule of thumb, the more "primary" your cortical areas the more closely they will be linked to major anatomical landmarks (i.e. sulci) - which are the only ones observable by standard MRI anyway. The catch-22 is that the more "associative" and higher-order the areas, the less clear this relationship – and, unfortunately, the less likely you will be to have quantitative and probabilistic data from the Jülich work.

We have had a comparative look at probabilistic anatomical (MRI landmarks) versus probabilistic cytoarchitectonic (Jülich) data for the inferior frontal gyrus in MNI space in this paper:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16671082?ordinalpos=21&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

-        both estimates were very similar indeed (see Figure 6).

To me, this justifies using our (freely available) maximum probability maps (e.g. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12874777?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

) for most applications when there is no Jülich data – that will be a lot more accurate and reproducible than guesstimates on “Brodmann areas”.

I hope this helps,

Best wishes,

Alexander