I enjoyed these comments about upwards and downwards causation in social
systems.  Sorry to take so long to reply, I have been traveling.

I'm not aware of a more recent literature review, since my 2003 article,
of sociological implications of agent based modeling.  (By the way, my
2005 book SOCIAL EMERGENCE is a bit more recent and incorporates an
updated version of the 2003 article.)  I'm interested if anyone can
suggest one?

Yes, it's true I claim that no simulation combines both micro->macro and
macro->micro simultaneously but here's what I'm referring to:

1. At the micro level, agents interact locally, and this eventually
gives rise to the emergence of some macro level structures and/or entities.

2. The simulation then automatically develops explicit data structures
that capture the emergent macro level structures.  (These are not
internal to agents, but are autonomous from them.)

3. These new data structures then have causal effects on the local
agents and their interactions.

It is step (2) that results in the most controversy/discussion, with
many modelers saying, of course we don't do that because that doesn't
happen in the real world.  But in fact, many sociologists do believe
that something like that is the case in the real world.  They are
sometimes referred to as sociological realists.  It's primarily those
who are methodological individualists by inclination who think that (2)
is unnecessary (as I have argued in several other publications).  Most
if not all agent modelers are methodological individualists.

The mechanism whereby step (3) happens has been the topic of a few of
these posts; immergence/second-order emergence is one of the leading
candidates for a mechanism.  But that's not the only one; macro social
structures and properties often have demonstrable causal effects on
individuals even when those individuals are not consciously or
explicitly aware of them.