Dear SCARF users,

I would like to give advanced warning of possible disruption to the service on Tuesday 18th August, between 8am and 10am. This is due to essential work in testing the UPS in the new R89 machine room.

The announcement from the machine room operations group is included below:

-----

This is to give advanced warning that it is planned to test the uninterruptable power supply (UPS) for the R89 computer rooms on Tuesday 18 August between 8:00 and 10:00 (which is Network Development time). Such a test is needed to assure ourselves that should there be a power failure the UPS and its associated generator will actually work. It will be an annual event.

As this is first time we have done such a test there is a higher than normal chance of something going wrong. Equipment most at risk are those racks that are located in the UPS Computer room plus all racks elsewhere that are powered from the UPS. The latter include all Telecoms racks bar Tel 12, the two tape robots, Castor E and the ADS rack. Whilst every effort will be made to avoid any impact on the normal power to both the R89 computer rooms and the offices there is a finite possibility that both may suffer a power glitch or outage. Office users will be warned of this risk nearer the time.

-----

Please note that SCARF does NOT come under the category of "Equipment most at risk", and as such we would hope that no disruption will occur.

Best wishes,

Duncan